Monday, May 11, 2009

Moms

I was thinking yesterday about the mother daughter relationship and how interesting it is. I know with my mom it evolved from provider, to enemy (those fun teenage years), to friend and I'm sure that is the case for many mother daughter relationships. But through all of those changes the lessons remain. I still learned things that shape me today that I will try and instill in my daughter.

Mom, I can be a better mom (on this, my first mother's day) because you taught me:
  • Everyone needs a friend, you never want to be the mean girl.
  • It's so much better to have many friends than only one at a time.
  • Lying is much more hurtful than disobedience.
  • Only marry a man that you can't spend one day without.
  • Reading is one of life's greatest joys.
  • Beware of men who drive trucks, the back of them are called beds.
  • You don't have to know the correct lyrics to a song to enjoy it.
  • A thigh master is not an appropriate Christmas gift.
  • It's okay to expect big things, you don't have to settle.
  • Choose your battles.
  • Hold your shoulders back. (Still working on this one)
  • It is never appropriate to throw a fit in public.
  • Southern women are a cut above.
  • High school is not the end all be all in life.
  • You can never get in trouble for doing your best, even if it's not an A.
  • You can never go wrong with good table manners.
  • Life isn't always fair, but God is always good.
Thanks for all of these lessons and more. They all mean so much more now that I'm charged with teaching them to these doodles!

* Note my mother's day present, a new chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment