Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Firecracker Fourth

I really love the 4th of July. I can remember growing up we would spend all day at the pool, and they would have races, games, a carnival, and a fireworks show at night! Nothing fancy, just an all American summer day. With the 4th falling on a Sunday this year, we did most of our celebrating on Saturday. We grilled out with my parents and grandfather and had some fantastic burgers and homemade ice cream.

What a difference a year makes with the kids. Last year they were only 6 months old, but this year they are running around the yard in and out of the pool! They had a blast in the water. We went home, got the kids in their jammies and then took them to the Maumelle fireworks show.

The 4th in Maumelle is a big deal, and they have a parade, a little festival, and of course fireworks. We got a prime viewing spot (total luck) and were right under the action. The kids seemed to love it and were totally mesmerized. Hulse and Liv both were pointing and saying boom and woah. They weren't scared, and I think they thought it was pretty cool.

Sunday we slept in (Yeah for 10:30 church service), got dressed in our red, white, and blue, and went to a great God and Country service at church. One of my favorite things we do every year is the song that features the branches of the military. I just love seeing the legacy of men and women who fought for our freedom. I'm a sappy patrotic person, and I really do get a lump in my throat when we sing the Star Spangled Banner. It always makes me thank God for the freedom I have in this country and the liberation I have in Him from sin. Hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend.




2 comments:

  1. Livi and Avery have the same "patriotic" swimsuit! :) Such sweet pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the kids splashing in the turtle pool! They are so stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete